Tuesday, August 18, 2015

So far so good

As I said on Friday, I upgraded the operating system on my desktop computer to Windows 10. The process was painless and only took half an hour.

The upgrade is free and the license is for life so there is no cost nor will there be in the future. WHat is there to lose?

I had intended to wait because I was completely satisfied with Windows 7  but then I read that a friend of mine, who is an IT technician in Liverpool, had upgraded his computer. I also read a comment on Facebook from the company that built my computer saying that Windows 10 was the best operating system that Microsoft has produced. They recommended all of their clients who had machines with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to take advantage of the offer - so I did. 

The first day I encountered a minor problem when my computer would not shut down completely. All of the programs closed and the screen went black but the computer was still running. Upon investigation I found that I needed to tweak the power settings. With that done, my computer shuts down properly and everything works as it should. 


Would I recommend the upgrade to others?


If you are entirely satisfied with you current operating system, especially if you are running Windows 7, then you can wait. You have a year in which to decide whether to upgrade or not. 

Just like with the Windows systems of the past though, Microsoft will sometime stop support for Windows 7 and then Windows 8. At that time you will no longer get the security patches that are essential to keep your computer safe. By that stage it will be too late to get a free copy of Windows 10 and so you will have to pay whatever price Microsoft decide to charge. 

The bottom line is that there is nothing to fear with Windows 10. Follow the guidelines to stop Microsoft from gathering too much information from you and all will be fine. Having installed Windows 10, you will enjoy a smooth computing experience that is both fast and stable.

PS Although I am recommending a move to Windows 10 based on my own experience,  you have to decide or yourselves what to do. It it all goes wrong and you end up with a dead machine, please don't blame me.

1 comment:

Pete said...

So far the only problem I've encountered was my optical drive stopping working. That was fairly readily resolvable though. I missed the sidebar gadgets so I confess I've put them back on. I also missed the slightly lighter freecell game of windows 7 so that went back on too!