Wednesday, April 26, 2006

First impressions

I've now been out twice on my new bike.

The first ride was just a tootle round the estate. My legs felt like jelly when I tried to climb the steep hills that we have around here. I know it will take a few goes at those hills for my legs to feel comfortable with them. A stone or two less weight would help as well.

When I got back, I made a few adjustments like tightening the front wheel properly and moving the saddle back. I also bought a puncture repair kit, a pump and a bag to put them in. Nothing worse than tempting fate by going out any distance without those items.

Then yesterday I ventured further by riding down to Bigastro. It's downhill all the way which was great fun. Coming back was fine until I got to the hill up to our house. Even the "granny gear" was hard work on that hill. "Why didn't we buy a house on the flat" I asked myself. The answer is of course that we wouldn't get the views.

So what is the bike like? It's very light in comparison to the steel framed hybrid I had in the UK. The gear shifts are smoother and the brakes a whole lot sharper. The front suspension takes the shock of the poor roads well making the ride very comfortable. I didn't even notice the hard saddle yesteday, possibly because the pain in my legs was greater than the numbness in my bum.

Today I think I'll try the longer but less steep route through the estate on my return!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hugh wants to know when you are going round the reservoir!