Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Computer woes

One of the downsides to living in Spain is that my main computer gets too hot during the summer months to do anything that uses a lot of processor power like rendering a video. I have the BIOS set to warn me when the cpu (in my case an AMD 3000XP Barton chip) gets to 65 degrees C and I also have a program that monitors the temperatures as well. The last thing I need is a cooked cpu.

This morning I tried to render my video of the girls but within twenty minutes the computer overheated. I switched it off and let it cool down. Then I just used the computer to surf the net. It even got too hot just doing that and finally I had to do a hard reset because it wasn't shutting down and I didn't want the alarm to wake up Pam.

A hard reset whilst Windows is running can corrupt programs that are running and even Windows itself. I hope that hasn't happened because my web site and picture album are not backed up onto DVDs. Fortunately all my pictures are on a seperate SATA hard drive so even if I have to reformat the hard drive I won't loose those.

Once it has cooled down I'll just run it briefly to check. Fingers crossed!!!

Update:- I now have the portable aircon unit blowing cold air towards the computer and it sems to be keeping down to 55 degrees C. Thankfully Windows and all of the programs seem OK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately a common problem now, even in England. You wouldn't believe how much of my work in the summer is a result of overheating woes. However I do have a solution for you http://www.custompc.co.uk/custompc/reviews/82998/asetek-vapochill-lightspeed-ac.html
Well didn't say it was a "cheap solution" did I?