I didn't realise how much of the cane fencing had come down until I inspected it properly.
The sections that are still secure are the ones where the ties were pulled tight. I imagine therefore that it is a combination of the sun and the chaffing against the wire netting that has caused the ones in the sections that weren't tightened so much to snap.
Anyway after a second day working at it I have managed to get most of the fencing back. Strange thing though the panels are now short so I have had to buy a new roll to fill in the gap. Amazing the difference in colour between the old (six months) and the new. Still the new will quickly fade to the same colour.
It is nice to have privacy back. The log term solution though may be to have the wall built up by a metre or so.