Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Sadly not mine

cunardWhat a sight that was, the three Queens from the Cunard fleet in Liverpool with a fly past by the Red Arrows.

The Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Victoria and the Queen Mary 2 visited Liverpool on the 175th anniversary of the association  of the company with Liverpool.

Before people took to air travel to reach America and Canada, liners like the Queen Mary 2 were the only way to get there. 

When we emigrated to Canada in 1956, my mother, grandmother, brother and I travelled on a Greek ship – my father had flown across ahead of us to find a job. When we returned in 1957, my father was also with us on the Empress of Canada (an earlier Cunard liner). I still remember entering the Mersey and seeing the Liver building knowing that we were then back in Blighty.

Although flying to America might be convenient, there is something magical about crossing the Atlantic on a liner. 

Since I wasn’t in Liverpool yesterday, this photo is not mine. It is taken from the Liverpool Echo.

No comments: