Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Not a route for me

Can I say at the outset, that I am not one for driving along back roads and country lanes. I prefer a road with some width and a decent surface of tarmac to some narrow track out in the country. I know there are some who like to explore little known routes just to see where they might lead. You can count me out of that group. In my cycling days I would regularly take to the minor roads of the Wirral on my bike but rarely  would I venture along them in my car.

I feel my position is vindicated when I read in the newspaper Información that, taking the back road between Guardamar del Segura and Torrevieja, is like driving in the Dakar Rally. Apart from the fact that there is no white line on the road and there are no traffic signals, the newspaper has  counted 750 holes and cracks in its 5km length. To drive along it you need to be skilled at avoiding potholes although in the case of some, they are impossible to miss.

You might say, why bother using the road at all. It is in fact a popular road especially for those who want to go to the market on Wednesday at La Mata or the very popular Sunday market at Campico de Guardamar. It is also a very popular route for cyclists who want to avoid the dangers of the N-332 and of course the farmers have to use it to get to their land.

Información says, the only good thing about the road is that it has very few accidents because it is impossible to drive fast along it. I am in no hurry to test that theory out.

No comments: