Thursday, July 05, 2012

You get what you pay for

I set up my new softbox on the light stand ready to try it out with a self portrait. Flashgun in place and wireless flash trigger working fine, I was ready to start experimenting.

In order to fire the camera from where I was sitting, I fitted my Yongnuo wireless shutter trigger and that’s where I faced a problem.

The receiver, which fits to the camera, has a removable battery so that worked fine but the transmitter was dead and the only way to get inside that unit was by taking out two of the tiniest little screws you have ever seen. They are so small, even my jewellers screwdriver would not move them.

So I have come to the conclusion that they are not meant to be taken out which means that, when the battery is dead, the unit is defunct. To be fair, the Yongnuo was cheap but even still, I’d expect it to work for more than a couple of years.

I guess I will just have to spend more money on something a bit more reliable which has batteries that you can easily remove.

No comments: