Friday, January 02, 2009

I'll wish myself many happy returns

For those of you who don't know (or don't remember) tomorrow is my birthday. I'm only telling you this now because I know it is too late for you to rush out and send me a card. Please don't feel guilty if you haven't got one in the post already - I understand and forgive you.

I have to admit that I've never made a big thing about my birthday because it is too close to Christmas and New Year. By the time I've got over the excesses of the festive season, the last thing I want to do is celebrate my birthday and if I'm not motivated then nobody else will be.

When I was younger, I didn't get many cards which was just as well because my mother didn't want to take down the Christmas cards until the 6th and so there was little room for any birthday ones. I still don't get many cards but that is my fault. My daughters make a big thing about their birthdays, filling every space they can with the many cards they receive. They count them up and compare numbers; almost like a competition. On a good year I will get six.

I didn't get many presents either. Those that I did get were usually joint with Christmas. I couldn't blame people for that. Searching out one present for a relative is a job enough in itself without having to look for two. Often the presents I did get, were wrapped in left over Christmas paper - why would anyone go to the expense of buying special paper when there was some left over that needed using up.

More recently folks have used the excuse, "oh I forgot it was your birthday - it's because it is so close to Christmas - I'll try and remember next year". I understand it is my fault for being born just after Christmas and apologise for the inconvenience that causes folks.

Actually I have to confess that I often prefer a joint present because it means I can have something a bit special. I do mind though when I'm told that the Christmas present I get will do for my birthday as well - that is different. Some people say they feel guilty about sending me a joint present, insisting that I should have something small on the actual day as well. Now that is thoughtful!

When in the year would I liked to have been born?

Certainly not on Christmas Day nor on the same day as any of my family. How embarrassing would that be? A room full of cards for them with my six sat in the corner.

Mid Spring would be good. Pam was born early April and Laura in late March. By that time of year people have got over Christmas. The weather is usually better so the mood is brighter. Spring is far enough away from any period of serious spending so people can afford a decent present for you. Jemma was born in October which isn't bad either. Not too close to Christmas and still reasonable weather for celebrations.

Actually, the birthday I am looking forward to is my 65th. Not that I want a big celebration or sacks full of cards. No, what I am eagerly awaiting is my old age pension. At last I will get back some of the vast sum of money that I paid in when I was working. That will be enough of a present for me; anything else will be a bonus. Hopefully, I'll be able to put the money into a separate bank account and save it up for something special just like Pam does with hers.


No comments: