Sunday, February 07, 2010

Three of my favourites

Out of all the photographs that I took over the last couple of days at the Medieval Market, these three are my favourites so I have given them the black and white treatment they deserve.

IMG_1043

This man with his characterful face was struggling to negotiate a sale of one of his rugs to an English couple. They had no Spanish and he no English.

Whether the sale came to a conclusion, I could not say. If it didn't then it wasn't his for lack of perseverance and patience.

IMG_1047

This old lady, in traditional black as a token of respect to her dead husband, shuffles home oblivious to the noise and bustle of the Medieval Market that has been set up less than 500 metres from her doorstep.

The chic bars and designer shops that co-exist with a time almost forgotten provide a remarkable contrast between old and new Spain.

IMG_1005

These children were on their way down from school into Orihuela and the Medieval Market that had been set up there.

You can see the excitement on some of their faces as they find their city transformed into a magical wonderland with all manner of sweets, toys and other treats for them to enjoy.

1 comment:

Pete said...

Well, we're consistent! I think these were my favourites as well, though I'd probably add in the orange faced street performer as well. Shots be proud of - well done sir!