Sunday, January 01, 2012

Let’s try and put a positive spin on it

Every new year brings renewed hope for something better than before. Amidst all the doom and gloom of the economic crisis, the possibility of a breakup of the Eurozone and the Pope’s criticism about moral relativism (whatever that means) we must try to find a tiny glimmer, a minute spark which could point to 2012 being a better year for us all and for the world.

I must admit it is difficult to find any indications in the news that 2012 might bring improvements. I remember at the time of the Millennium, apart from all the hubris about the bug that would cause IT systems to crash, there was a lot of optimism about the future. Sadly, that all seems to have evaporated now, gone up in smoke like the New Year fireworks that heralded the new century in.

On a personal note. this year will bring a lot of joy and happiness to our family. First of all, I will get my state pension sometime after my 65th birthday on the 3rd January. That should help to offset the decline in our income caused by the exchange rate. Then in June, my youngest daughter Laura will be married to the love of her life. I’m sure there will be many other occasions throughout the year to bring us further happiness.

My sincere wish is that 2012 will bring similar highlights to all of the readers of this blog and in that spirit of hope, I wish you all a Very Happy New Year.

No comments: