Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Plan for the worst

The more time you spend on your computer, the more you realise how much you would loose if anything happened to it. It wouldn’t just be the data, it would be all the programs and other things that you use when running your machine.

Sometime ago I started using Acronis Home 2009 backup software to make regular copies of my hard drive on an external disc. That means that, in the event of a hard drive failure, I would be able to restore the contents of the disc to a new disc.

In order to restore my computer, I’d need some software to get started. Apart from Windows itself, there are a few other programs I’d need. In the days when the Internet was slow, software came on CDs or DVDs. Now the favoured method is to download software direct from the seller. I have quite a few programs that I have bought and installed in this way including my backup program, Acronis which I would definitely need to restore my computer.

Of course, I hope that the hard drive won’t crash. However, even if it doesn’t there is always the possibility that I might want a new computer someday ( I say might for the benefit of Pam). In that event, all this software I’ve bought would be lost so I have made copies of it all on CDs along with copies of any updates that have been made available.

Starting from scratch; installing all the software and the device drivers for all the bits and pieces I own would take quite some time but at least now I should be able to do it.

No comments: