Thursday, May 15, 2008

Markets UGGH!

I'm not a great lover of markets. If I have to go shopping, I'd rather go to proper shops. However, I  know that a lot of Brits here love the markets and spend a much of their time visiting them. I'm told that some people will even get up early on Sunday mornings to go to a market near Los Montesinos - UNBELIEVABLE!

Having said that, I do enjoy going to the market in Bigastro. I like the atmosphere and its compact size. I enjoy savouring  the aroma of spices, cooked meats and fresh vegetables. Most of all I like the fact that 95% of the people there are Spanish. It's delightful to listen to their banter even if you can't understand it.

Yesterday we visited San Miguel market. We need new rugs for the front and back doors and Pam thought we might get them there. We haven't been to San Miguel market for awhile and were surprised how much it has grown. It sprawls out over several streets.

P1000084

For me though it had no atmosphere.  In the open streets there was no aroma to savour and worst of all 95% of the people there were Brits; many of whom were easily identifiable in their shorts, sandals and T-shirts to show off their dark tanned skin on a heavily overcast day.

Don't get me wrong, I love wearing shorts and I like having a tan but I don't particularly want my skin to resemble the covering of an old Chesterfield. I've often wondered whether these people who have dark tans apply sun tan lotion or furniture cream when the go out in the sun.  

Anyway, having searched for over an hour we found lots of stalls selling tat but not one selling rugs. So we'll probably end up buying them in a shop anyway. 

No comments: