Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Jab time

As we were preparing to leave the UK, we gave the doctor one of our neighbour’s addresses as a temporary residence. It seems that in my case, the records have not been updated so I got a call the other day from the medical centre in Moreton offering me a flu jab.

When I explained that I now live in Spain, the lady receptionist laughed and said, “I don’t think we will be expecting you to fly all the way here just for a flu jab”.

In fact we will be offered a flu jab here in Bigastro. The regional health service has spent over 4 million Euros on 900,000 vaccines for this year. They are targeting the most “at risk” sections of the community which includes those over 60 years of age.

So far, Pam and I have avoided these injections because we know that the vaccine itself can give you quite severe flu symptoms. Maybe we should reconsider the situation because you never know whether this year will be the one where there is an epidemic that will hit us hard.

No comments: