Saturday, January 03, 2009

Fret no more

You may have heard that Marks & Spencer now deliver to Spain from their online store. Well I can confirm that is true. In fact I received a package from them yesterday - a pair of their excellent Stormwear cotton and lycra jeans which I ordered on the 27th.

They were dispatched on the 28th but of course with a Bank holiday there was a slight delay in delivery. My parcel arrived by post yesterday. I'd guess that in normal circumstances you could have goods easily within a week.

I have to confess, I've always liked Marks clothing. Apart from a period when the style was a bit middle aged and middle class, they've always seemed to me to produce timeless classics that fit well, are long lasting and are reasonably priced. I bought most of my clothes for work at Marks and would like to think that I always looked smart.

My odd foray into the esoteric world of designer labels has taught me that apart from a badge, you get little other benefit from the extortionate prices these people charge.

Leaving the togs that others see aside and without getting too personal. most people I know, particularly women, buy all their underwear at Marks. Damn it, even royalty wear Marks undies. Apart from any other consideration, this is one area where comfort and fit is paramount.

Since I've never gone in for displaying the waistband of my knickers to the world it makes no difference what brand they are. That's for me to know and others to wonder about. I'd rather buy several pairs of Marks briefs than one pair of Armani.

My girls are typical of the younger generation who are more cost and fashion conscious than I am. My daughters will wear clothes a couple of times and then abandon them. For them, Primark and Asda are the first ports of call. I have to admit, they do get incredible bargains from both shops but, for me, a trip to Primark seems like a venture into a jumble sale. I'd prefer the more comfortable ambience of Marks any day.

Ah yes you ask, but what does it cost to buy online at Marks?

To quote their website; for international deliveries:-

France, Germany, Spain:
Clothing and selected homeware and beauty products
Approximately 6 -9 days
£10.00

A tenner may sound a lot but there is no mention of limits. I could probably have bought a few other items as well and had them delivered for the same price. In any case, if I'd waited until my next trip to the UK it would have cost more than a tenner to go into Manchester from Sale. Apart from the fare into town, we'd have stopped for lunch and sods law tells me they would have every size in stock but mine. So, I'd be twenty quid worse off and nothing to show for it.

I did say I wasn't going to join the millions who went online Christmas Day for the sales bargains and I kept to my word. I waited a couple of days for the queues to go down before digging my nose in to see what was available. Now I've been though, I'll go back again and I dare say Pam will join me.

No comments: