Thursday, August 25, 2011

Jobs quits his job

I am an Apple fanboy, I love everything about the company that produced the first serious computer that I ever owned. The fact that I now have a Microsoft Windows PC is because a lot of the programmes I own are PC versions. Recently, I was tempted to buy an iMac but it didn't make sense so I bought another Dell instead. Although Windows 7 is very good, it has taken me days to sort my new computer out and I still have a few issues with a couple of programs.

The guru of Apple has always been Steve Jobs who is the public face of the company. He is also one of the inspirations for Jonathan Ive, the Chingford-born designer who designed the sleek products which revolutionised the firm’s finances and the gadget marketplace.

Jobs, a Buddhist who experimented with the psychedelic drug LSD, founded the firm in his California garage 35 years ago.

In his early years, he dropped out of university, returned empty Coke bottles for the 5 cent deposit and walked "seven miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week".

Jobs has fought a long-running battle with pancreatic cancer and took a leave from his post in January and now he has announced his departure in a letter to Apple’s board of directors, saying: “I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.”

Apple's chief operating officer, Tim Cook,has been named the new CEO of the company after Jobs strongly recommended him in a letter.

The news has caused a drop in the value of Apple shares by 7% and FoxConn Technology Co, a Taiwanese firm which makes the iPhone and iPad at a massive manufacturing campus in southern China, dropped by 2.3%.

Trust me, this is just a blip, Apple will bounce back. They make such great products which will ensure their success for many years to come. My daughters both have iPhones, I have an iPod Touch and now Pam has an iPad 2 which she just loves.

I just wish I had stuck with Apple all those years ago instead of making the switch to PC. It might have cost me more but would have saved an awful lot of time wrestling with Microsoft operating systems – solving problems rather than getting on with productive work.

No comments: