Monday, January 04, 2016

I was overwhelmed

Having a birthday so close to New Year has always meant that I kind of lost out. After the excesses of Christmas and then New Year, very few people bother to acknowledge my special day. I only ever get a handful of cards.

In fact, when I was young, I often received joint presents i.e. for Christmas and Birthday combined.  I am not moaning about this, just stating a fact. The truth is though that those who had birthdays later in the year all seemed to fair better than me.

This year I have been overwhelmed by the response to "my day". Apart from the handful of cards (there are some still to come in the post) and the ecards, I had 61 comments on Facebook - wow 61 people took the trouble to send me a message - I am genuinely touched by that. Since they had made the effort, I "liked" and replied to each and every one.

Then last night at the concert, several people took the trouble to seek me out to pass on their best wishes for my birthday. Again I thank them for their kindness.

Actually, one of the best comments I received was from Fonta Bigastro ( the man who came up the other day with a crate of oranges and lemons). In his message he said, "Feliz cumpleaños amigo mío. Gran persona y gran Bigastrense. Un abrazo" which in English means, "Happy birthday my friend, a great person and a great citizen of Bigastro. A hug." I am delighted to be regarded as his friend and even more delighted that he regards me as a great citizen of the town. Thank you Fonta, you have taught me a lot about the town and helped me tremendously to take photos of the events here. Your comment means a lot to me.

Now, did I mention that there was a concert last night by the Junior Band? It was excellent and a great tribute to all the young musicians and singers that took part. You can see my photos by going to the album in the sidebar.

No comments: