Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Not always what they mean

As in English, Spanish has some lovely little expressions which make the language interesting to learn.

dar a luz ="give to light"  used when someone is born. 

estoy hecho polvo = "I am made dust"  means I am shattered

no he podiddo pegar ojo en toda la noche  = "I had no power to stick eye in all night" means I didn't get a wink of sleep.

 para lo pequeño que es = "for the small thing that is"  means as young as she/he is.

estoy de morros = "I am the noses" means I am sulking.

estar como una reagadera  = "to be like a watering can" means as mad as a hatter.

estoy hasta las narices de ti = "I am until the noses of you " means  I've had it up to here with you.

está como un cencerro = "it's like a cowbell" means he/or she are nuts.

estoy hecho un lio ="I am done a lie" means I am mixed up/muddled.

está como un cabra ="she/he is like a goat" means she is off her head (mad).

uña y carne = "one and meat" means of the same flesh.

en Navidad, las angulas estan por las nubes ="In Christmas, the eels are for clouds" means that at Christmas the price of fish always goes up (sky high).

entre la espada y la pared ="between the sword and the wall" means between the devil and the deep blue sea.

estan a partir un piñón = "they are to divide a pine nut" means bosom buddies.

calado hasta los huesos = "soaked until the bones"  means wet through.

estoy sin blanca = "I am without white" means I am broke.

No comments: