Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I hate being beaten

When we got the digital photo frame I was disappointed to find that some of my pictures wouldn't display.

After a bit of testing and checking in the manual, I found that the problem photos were the ones which I had post processed in Photoshop. Those that were simply transferred from the camera to the frame worked fine.

All well and good but a) I had a number of photos that I wanted to display that I couldn't and b) I post process most of my pictures -reducing digital noise, adjusting the colour balance, cropping, sharpening, even removing elements or taking parts from one photograph and pasting them in another. It is all part of the creative process and the reason why digital images are so good.

Finally, with a bit of experimentation, I have found the solution to the problem. Once I've finished processing the images and saved them, I open them in Canon's Digital Photo Professional, a program which comes with all their DSLR cameras, and then choose Convert and save from the file menu. This restores the file format to one which the Sony digital frame can read. Bingo - problem solved.

Now we can view all of our photographs on the frame regardless of what changes I've made to them.

Those of you with a digital photo frame who are experiencing a similar problem can download the software from Canon's web site.

No comments: