Friday, September 05, 2008

No news

You can always tell when I have no news about what is going on in Bigastro. That's the time when I post items like this.

When we had a connection to Wi-Surf/Clear Communications, they installed a wi-fi aerial on the roof terrace. Once we'd moved to an Internet connection via Telefónica, that aerial became redundant.

So I've dismantled it and run the cable along the wall at the back of the house. With the help of an adapter, I can attach my wi-fi aerial to it and enjoy wireless reception outside.

You can't remove the aerial from the new Comtrend router, so I had to press a wireless access point I'd brought with me from England back into service. It took a bit of fiddling to get it to work with my iPod touch but I got there in the end.

So now when visitors take over the room where my desktop is located, I can go outside, connect the aerial and surf on my old Dell laptop. Bingo - how sad I hear you say.

PS for ex Wi-Surf customers who want to try this - the adapter you need is N female to SMA female. Unscrew the aerial from the back of the Telefónica router, attach your Wi-Surf aerial lead to the router and screw the aerial to the adapter outside. Just make sure you have encryption turned on otherwise the whole estate will be sharing your connection and don't leave the aerial outside for the Winter!

No comments: