Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The grim reality

Now that “Britain’s Got Talent” has finished leaving one of the contestants in need of recuperation in the Priory clinic, it is time for Big Brother to start. Thankfully, with only Canal + to watch, we can avoid all this.

The thirst for reality TV in Britain seems unstoppable as does the number of people prepared to submit themselves to humiliation and despair. If the price of becoming famous so quickly is high, the cost of failure could be even worse.

I remember the despair I felt when I failed to pass one of the few job interviews that I attended. In the end I decided that it was better not to apply at all rather than risk having my ego damaged by failure. It felt far more comfortable to be promoted within my own school rather than succumb to external interviews.

For reality TV contestants the despair must be much worse because their failure to succeed is in the public domain. Not only do their families and friends know about it, the whole nation is aware that they have failed.

I hope the Scottish lady, who apparently came second in Britain’s Got Talent, thinks long and hard before the whole business of being a star takes over her life. There are scores of examples of people who’s lives have been ruined by a desire for fame for the lady to take heed of. She needs to consider whether the glittering career that is being promised may just be too much for her to take.

No comments: