Monday, February 26, 2018

Highly recommended

If you want to know the good restaurants in an area, ask a local but chose one who is discerning enough to only recommend the best.

Yesterday, we were invited out for lunch with our neighbours, Pepe and Eladia to a restaurant on the coast.   El Gallego, on   Calle Transformador, 1, 03190 Pilar de la Horadada, is well worth a visit.

Just look at my photos and you can sense the quality of this restaurant but don't imagine it is so pricey that it will break the bank to go there. There were plenty of courses you could chose from under 20 Euros and many were under 10 Euros.

As we entered the restaurant, we passed the display of fish and seafood but unfortunately I did not have my camera to hand. I can only tell you that it was most impressive with large quantities of prawns, crayfish, squid, octopus, sea bream, sole, sea bass, salmon, crabs etc all looking delicious.

On the way out though, I had my camera ready and managed to get a photo of the prime cuts of beef available.


The cabinets of wines and champagnes impressed me most. In the bubbly cabinet there bottles of Moët & Chandon, Mumm, Veuve Clicquot, Piper-Heidsieck, Laurent-Perrier, Taittinger, Dom Pérignon etc etc. There was also a small selection of Cava but only the finest varieties of course.


Opposite the bubbly was a cabinet of equally impressive wines. Pepe told me that some of those could well set you back 100 Euros per bottle.


This was our main course, a huge platter of the most succulent steak for the eight of us to share.



We look forward to dining out with Pepe and Eladia again and will be trusting him to find somewhere suitable. I will report back to you when that happens.

No comments: