Tuesday, May 05, 2009

An Avira admirer

You remember on the 6th April I complained about the high price that McAfee wanted to charge me to renew my subscription to their Internet Security Suite.

I managed to get a refund of the £49.99 that they had taken from my credit card along with cancellation of the automatic renewal process. Since then I have had constant reminders that my subscription was about to expire. They even offered me a 30% discount at one stage. That was too little too late.

Yesterday I duly uninstalled the program by carefully following the two stages outlined on their website. With all traces of McAfee successfully removed, I then installed Avira AntiVir Premium which cost me the princely sum of £12.95 for a year’s subscription.

Not only have I saved £37 but the new program is a lot less intrusive of computer resources. Whilst McAfee would hog up my computer while it was doing its thing, Avira seems to work quietly in the background.

Admittedly, the new program doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive alternative but then do I really need any more bloatware on my machine?

No comments: