Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Apologies

I've brought my netbook over to the Wirral and had hoped that it would simply connect to the wireless network at Hugh and Angela's house. Wrong!

Their network is protected with WPA encryption. No problem, all I needed was the password which Andrew gave me. That didn't work so I suspect that Hugh and Angela's oldest son, who set the system up for them may have set up MAC filtering as well.

Every network device has a unique address. You can therefore set up a wireless network to only accept connections from those computers with the MAC addresses that you specify. Since the wireless card in my netbook isn't on the list, it is being rejected.

I might tbe wrong, but it is possible that is why I can't connect and therefore can't update my Flickr Project 365 until we get back to Sale.

No comments: