In a new initiative, pupils at the schools in Bigastro will benefit from the presence of a Police Tutor.
Two members of the local police force have been assigned to this task which has several objectives:-
- To support the schools and the parents of the children
- To control the behaviour of pupils
- To reduce absenteeism
- To reduce incidences of bullying
- To monitor security and traffic around the schools
- To enhance pupil awareness of civic issues and promote respect for the norms of our society
Whilst I was at Anfield, we had a community policeman attached to the school. He had a difficult role to play balancing familiarity with the pupils and respect for his position. It seemed that whenever we needed him, he was away on a course.
Along with the two members of the police force In the picture are: the Councillor for Education, Mª Dolores Andreu; the Councillor for Citizen Security, Inmaculada Martínez, the Director of the San José de Calasanz School, Salomón Rivera and the Mayor of Bigastro, Raúl Valerio Medina.