Saturday, November 04, 2006

New camera

A very wet DHL delivery man arrived yesterday with my new camera.

Those of you who have followed my blog will know that I have a Canon EOS 350D for serious photography. I also had a Canon Ixus I which was so small I could carry it around with me everywhere.

Laura borrowed the Ixus to take to her friend's wedding. So this Fujifilm Finepix A500 is my new second camera.

The intention is to keep it in the car so that it is always available when needed.

How does it compare with the Ixus?
1. It cost a lot less! You can get this blue version from Pixmania for £65 plus postage.
2. It has a 3x zoom lens - my Ixus had a fixed wide angle lens.
3. It has Fuji's 5.1Megapixel Super CCD sensor.
3. It has a larger LCD screen.
4. It has a viewfinder - in bright light an LCD screen is near useless for composing pictures.
5. It takes 2 AA batteries which are therefore easy to replace. Pam took the Ixus to England and the lithium battery died - she didn't have the charger and so couldn't take any more pictures.

but it is larger, it isn't as well built and the LCD screen isn't as sharp. Oh yes, and the manual is in French. (Not a problem I have a downloaded a copy of the English version)

No comments: