The advice from the Round Town News is:-
REMEMBER that you must carry at all times; your driving licence, your log book and your insurance receipts.
- Permiso de Conducción - driving license
- Permiso de Circulación - log book
- Tarjeta Inspección Téchnica de Vehículos - tehnical specifications for the car
- Certificado International del Segura de Automovil - insurance green card
- Impuesto vehiculos - road fund tax
Failure to carry these documents can result in both a hefty fine and a loss of points from your Spanish license. There is no system here in Spain, as there is in England, which allows you to take these to your local police station at a later date. If you can't pay the fine or prove who you are then your car is impounded and you walk home.
Also bear in mind that very soon there will be morning spot checks, designed to catch drivers still over the limit from the night before.
The drink-driving laws in Spain have tightened over recent years and tolerance is now almost zero. If in doubt DO NOT drive.
Ensure that your car is in good working order, faulty lights or tyres etc. attract attention. Check that your documentation is correct, think twice about your ability to drive after alcohol and watch your speed.